16 March 2010

I've been meaning to write, I really have, but you know how it goes - computers crash and need to be replaced after you thought it'd been fixed three times, winter finally freezes you in and you want nothing more than to be warm and watch movies that remind you this season will pass and life will return, you simply forget, you go to Atlanta, you lose your camera in one of the four bags you use daily, you can't think of anything good to say so you don't say anything at all.

I'd like to assure you, though, that while my brain may be hibernating, my kitchen is not.

There were some chicken strips:



Peanut butter toast in the pre-dawn snow:



All the unsatisfactory lemon scones which Geo ate most of in one day:



Aliens in both our bread and artichokes on the same day:



There have been a couple batches of beer George brewed with our friend Taft:



We discovered Brussels sprouts when we actually, for real, couldn't find kale in the grocery store:



George launched into a couple weeks of curries after finding a cheap book all about curries:



Finally we ended up with some radicchio in last night's dinner, Chicken Baked with Lentils, via The Wednesday Chef. :



As we truly hunkered down for winter here something incredible happened: we kept cooking and it wasn't an insurmountable task. I made vegetable stock regularly which got used in making rice and couscous and to help steam kale. Days without meals planned showed up and between us Geo and I could manage to whip up a decent dinner that was nutritious and delicious - not simply mac & cheese with peas. I'm remembering to soak beans overnight, to take frozen chicken out to thaw the night before, I'm making enough food to take to work for lunch. It's a dream come true.






1 comment:

  1. Two nights before St. Patrick's Day I was laying bed and suddenly sat up. I ran downstairs to put the corned beef in the fridge to thaw in order for it to be ready for the crock pot on Wednesday morning. My husband looked at me and said he was amazed that I thought about that. I told him that's all I think about. Food prep is constantly in the back of my head and it's giving me a headache!

    ReplyDelete