08 December 2009

Food quality's been on a roller coaster lately: today there was delicious, lovingly prepared couscous and kale and yesterday there was a bag of Pirate's Booty, Peanut M&M's, and some Vitamin Water. In fact, that's sort of what life's been like lately, and while it's true that life's full of these ups and downs this time it's a little more severe. All my projects were on track, they were big, they were exciting, they were real - not like those projects I just said I was going to finish. I was proud and motivated. Then my dad was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. The doctor is optimistic, dad is optimistic, I'm optimistic, but optimism doesn't magically lessen his pain or magically transport me home.

So I sulk, I thrash around the house, I putter, I watch a lot of movies and TV on Netflix. This entry of Multiple Myeloma into my life feels like it's a secret, like one of those things that isn't real unless I talk about it. Today I've got a little recap of foods I've made since last we spoke and my favorite cookie recipe to share.

Samosas!


Homemade curry powder made after a trip to Dunkin Donuts!


This is where the curry powder ended up: dal! This must be almost a gallon of lentils, we ate about three quarts before we just couldn't eat any more.


Our prettiest loaf of No-Knead bread yet!

Cookies were an integral part of my youth. My mom's Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are well known around my old elementary school. Friends used to come over just for the cookies. I've developed my own standard version of the Chocolate Chip Cookie, it's adapted from The Moosewood Restaurant's New Classics and from my friend Cynthia's method. (I say "method" as opposed to "recipe" because she's an eye-baller, you know, "Meeeeh, abooooout this much.")

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies

3/4 c. butter
1 c. dark brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. unbleached white flour
3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2-3/4 c. rolled oats
1/4-1/2 c. flaked coconut
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
2 t. vanilla extract
2 c. chocolate chips
2 T. water

Preheat oven to 375.

Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth, then beat in the eggs until blended. Add flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix well. Add oats, coconut, chocolate chips, and vanilla, mix well. If the dough feels too dry or doesn't want to hold together mix in the water.

Scoop the dough into 2-3" balls and place on cookie sheet, bake for up to 10 minutes, checking after 8. The edges should be light brown and the tops golden.





For some variation: use light brown sugar and dried cranberries instead of chocolate chips. They're also delicious with extra coconut.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jenne-
    Sorry to hear about your dad! I am 53 and have multiple myeloma--I have devoted my life to helping other myeloma patients. Anything I can do? Any questions? I blog daily at www.MultipleMyelomaBlog.Com. I wrote a book designed for men with myeloma called "Living with Multiple Myeloma." Most of my orders come from wives and spouses. But eventually, hopefully, patient reads the book too. Myeloma isn't the type of cancer where you just do what the doc says. Education helps with many, many treatment options. E-mail if I can help: Pat@HelpWithCancer.Org- Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite cookie recipe is oatmeal cookies with craisins. Love it! Great job with the blog and I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Prayers sent your way (and his).

    Sarah GM

    ReplyDelete